Department of Mechanical Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Bhilai
Tel: +91 9439096336
Areas of Interest
- Advanced PVD coatings for cutting tools
- Metal cutting
- Non- traditional machining
- Machining of aero- engine alloys
- Additive manufacturing
- Surface integrity in manufacturing processes
- Modeling and simulation of manufacturing processes
- Surface texturing
- Thin film tribology
- Materials characterization
- PhD, 2010, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- M.Tech, 2004, West Bengal University of Technology
- ME 2030: Manufacturing Science 1
- ME 2040: Instrumentation
- ID1921: DIY Training Lab
- September 2009 - September 2017: Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, NIT Rourkela, India
- December 2011 - November 2012: BOYSCAST Fellow, University of Leoben, Austria
Current Sponsored Projects
- Development of advanced PVD coating for machining Ni-based superalloys, funded by DST under the scheme of India-Portugal Bilateral Cooperation , PIs: Dr. Soumya Gangopadhyay (India) and Dr. Filipe Fernandes (Portugal), 2018-2020.
- Additive manufacturing of a functionally graded coating for diesel engine piston for environment-friendly application, funded by DST under the scheme of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT) , PI: Dr. Soumya Gangopadhyay, 2018-2020.
- Gangopadhyay, S., Bhaduri, D., Chattopadhyay, A. K., Paul, S., Performance Evaluation of a Hard Composite Solid Lubricant Coating when Dry Machining of High Carbon Steel, Tribology Transaction, In Press, DOI: 10.1080/10402004.2016.1275903.
- Talla, G., Gangopadhyay, S., Effect of impregnated powder materials on surface integrity aspects of Inconel 625 during electrical discharge machining, IMech E, Part B, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, In Press, DOI: 10.1177/0954405416666904
- Jacob, A., Gangopadhyay, S., Satapathy, A., Mantry, S.S., Jha, B.B., Influences of micro-blasting as surface treatment technique on properties and performance of AlTiN coated tools, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 29, (2017) 407-418.
- Talla, G., Gangopadhyay, S., Biswas, C.K.,State of the art in powder mixed electric discharge machining: A review, IMech E, Part B, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 231 (2017) 2511-2526.
- Thakur. A., Gangopadhyay, S., State-of-the-art in surface integrity in machining of nickel-based super alloys, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 100 (2016) 25-54.
- Talla, G., Gangopadhyay, S., Biswas, C.K., Effect of powder suspended dielectric on the EDM characteristics of Inconel 625, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 25 (2016) 704-717.
- Schalk et al. , Combinatorial synthesis of Cr 1-x Al x N and Ta1-xAl x N coatings using industrial scale co-sputtering, Surface Engineering, 32 (2016) 252-257.
- Thakur, A., Gangopadhyay, S., Influence of tribological properties on the performance of uncoated, CVD and PVD coated tools in machining of Incoloy 825, Tribology International, 102 (2016), 198–212.
- Nayak, A.A., Gangopadhyay, S., Sahoo, D.K., Modelling, simulation and experimental investigation for generating ‘I’ shaped contour on Inconel 825 using electro chemical machining, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 23 (2016) 269-277.
- Sahoo, S., Thakur, A., Gangopadhyay, S., Application of Analytical Simulation on Various Characteristics of Hole Quality during Micro-Drilling of Printed Circuit Board, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 31 (2016) 1927-1934.
- Thakur, A., Mohanty, A., Gangopadhyay, S., Comparative study of surface integrity aspects of Incoloy 825 during machining with uncoated and CVD multilayer coated inserts, Applied Surface Science, 320 (2014) 829-837.
- Bhaduri, D., Ghosh, A., Gangopadhyay, S., Paul, S., Effect of target frequency, bias voltage and bias frequency on physical and mechanical properties of pulsed DC CFUBM sputtered TiN coating, Surface and Coatings Technology, 204 (2010) 3684-3697.
- Gangopadhyay, S., Acharya, R., Chattopadhyay, A.K., Paul, S., Composition and structure-property relationship of low friction, wear resistant TiN–MoSx composite coating deposited by pulsed closed-field unbalanced magnetron sputtering, Surface and Coatings Technology, 203 (2009) 565-1572.
- Gangopadhyay, S., Acharya, R., Chattopadhyay, A.K., Paul, S., Pulsed DC magnetron sputtered MoSx-TiN composite coating for improved mechanical properties and tribological performance, Surface and Coatings Technology, 203 (2009) 3297-3305.
- Bhattacharyya, B. Gangopadhyay, S., Sarkar, B.R., Modelling and analysis of EDMed job surface integrity, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 189 (2007), 169-177.