Open House of IIT Bhilai at IIT Delhi
Girls in IITs have been around 10%. It has been noticed that not all girls that qualify JEE (advanced) join one of the IITs. Efforts are being made to support them and address their concerns. IIT Bhilai conducted an open house for female JEE (advanced) 2018 qualified applicants on 17 June 2018 at IIT Delhi. Dr. Veena Bansal and Ms. Nikita Shehra, II Year Electrical Engineering were present at the venue from 10 AM till 5 PM. The candidates were excited and anxious at the same time. About 40 girls with their parents and families interacted with IIT Bhilai team.
- Are new IITs safe for girls as these are operating from transit campus?
- Which discipline is good?
- Can girls study Mechanical Engineering?
- Should I opt for discipline X in older IITs over discipline Y in newer IITs?
- Should I opt for discipline X in newer IITs over discipline Y in older IITs?
- Should I opt NITs/IIITs over discipline X in IITs?
- If I join discipline X, can I change to discipline Y?
- If I join discipline X, can I do courses in discipline Y?
IIT Bhilai is a fully residential campus and the girls stay in the hostel that is guarded and has female attendants around the clock. The entire campus is guarded. Every arrangement has been made for the security of all its students.
Mechanical Engineering has emerged in its new avatar in last few years. Girls are studying Mechanical Engineering across the country. IIT Bhilai has girls studying Mechanical Engineering.
All other questions are gender neutral, girls and boys all have to answer these questions for themselves. The best way to resolve these questions is to visit the websites of the relevant Institutes, look at the course curriculum of the programs and faculty profiles to gather information. Visiting institutes under consideration may also provide useful inputs. Contact the students through the mentorship program.
Use all this information to make an informed decision. Avoid making a decision based on the stale information and anecdotal evidence.
One can also read FAQ created by IIT Bhilai here.