FUNDED RESEARCH PROJECTS ATTRACTED BY THE DEPARTMENT
|Name of the Investigator||Title of the project and duration||Funding Agency|
|Dr. Anshul Faye||Investigations into the impact mitigation capabilities of architecture cellular elastomeric solids||Science and Engineering Research Board|
|Dr. Anshul Faye and Dr. Jose Immanuel R.||Failure analysis of Input Shaft in Mill -1 and 2 gear unit at Dalmia – Bokaro plant||Dalmia – Bokaro plant|
|Dr. Balkrishna Mehta||Thermo-hydrodynamics of evaporating meniscus of conventional fluid and ferrofluids under externally imposed magnetic field inside heated mini-channels||SERB-DST|
|Dr. Vijay S Duryodhan||Development of Thermocapillary based Pumping System for Microfluidics Applications.||Science and Engineering Research Board, DST, Government of India|
|Dr. Udayraj||Formulation, Solution Development and Promotion of Building Physics Related Problems||Indo-Swiss Building Energy Efficiency Project (BEEP)|
|Dr. Pravesh Chandra Shukla||Development of High Compression Ratio (HCR) CI Engine fueled with Second Generation Bio-ethanol,||Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India|
|Dr. Soumya Gangopadhyay||Advanced PVD coatings for machining Ni-based superalloys||DST (India-Portugal Bilateral collaboration)|
|Dr. Soumya Gangopadhyay||Additive manufacturing of a functionally graded coating for diesel engine piston for environment-friendly application||DST-AMT|
DISTINCTION EARNED BY FACULTY MEMBERS
|Name of the faculty member||Award details|
|Dr. Soumya Gangopadhyay||AI Sontag Award for best paper by Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers - STLE, USA|
|Dr. Pravesh Chandra Shukla||Awarded ‘Young Scientist Award-2018’ from the Society of International Society for Energy, Environment and Sustainability.|
|Dr. Jose Immanuel R.||·Young Scientist award in the domain of Materials and Manufacturing under Engineering discipline in 4th Venus International Research Awards, Annual Research Meet - ARM 2018.|
|·Sri R Krishnamurthy Endowment Award for best Ph.D. project in the area of Surface Engineering, Tribology, Advanced Materials – composites, coatings and treatments for the year 2017 in IIT Madras.|
|Dr. Nagesh Devidas Patil||Graduate Research Award of Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay, India|
|Name of the faculty members||Membership of professional societies|
|Dr. Udayraj||·Life Member: Indian Building Congress|
|·Member: The Indian Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ISHRAE)|
|Dr. Soumya Gangopadhyay||•Membership: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), India|
|Dr. Pravesh Chandra Shukla||·Membership for Society of Automotive Engineers of India (SAE-India) (SAE India Membership No. -318280846)|
|·Membership of The Institution of Engineers (India) (Membership no.- M-1670905)|
|·Life-Membership of International Society for Energy, Environment and Sustainability (ISEES) (Membership ID: 14027)|
|·Professional Membership for American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) (Member Number: 103085495)|
|Dr. Jose Immanuel R.||•Lifetime member - The Institution of Engineers (India)|
|Dr. Kaushik Bandyopadhyay||•Life member: ISAM (Indian society for applied mechanics)|
MAJOR AREAS OF RESEARCH
|Dr. Soumya Gangopadhyay||Laser based additive manufacturing, Development of advanced PVD coatings for cutting tools, Micro manufacturing|
|Dr. Anshul Faye||Mechanics of soft materials, Experimental solid mechanics, Fracture mechanics|
|Dr. Nagesh Devidas Patil||Laser-based microtextured/micro-machined surfaces for microfluidics or lab-on-chip applications, Sorting of colloidal particles via droplet impact and evaporation on various surfaces.|
|Dr. Pravesh Chandra Shukla||Internal Combustion Engines: Combustion, Alternate fuels, Performance, Emissions|
|Dr. Udayraj||Thermal comfort and applied computational fluid dynamics|
|Dr. Vijay S Duryodhan||Electronics cooling, Microfluidics pumping system|
|Dr. Kaushik Bandyopadhyay||Sheet metal forming through incremental forming approach, Laser based material processing particularly laser welding and laser sintering metal of metal matrix composite|
|Dr. Balkrishna Mehta||Experimental Two-phase flow and Heat Transfer|
|Dr. Rahul Jain||Friction Stir Welding, Finite element modeling of welding|
|Dr. Jose Immanuel R||Material development and characterization|
LIST OF RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS IN SCI JOURNALS DURING THE LAST FIVE YEARS
- Anshul Faye, et.al.. The effect of local inertia around the crack-tip in dynamic fracture of soft materials, Mechanics of Soft Materials, 1, 2019.
- Y. Lev, A. Faye, K. Y. Volokh. Thermoelastic deformation and failure of rubberlike materials, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 122, pp.538-554, 2019.
- Rahul Jain, Surjya K. Pal, Shiv B. Singh, Modeling of defects in friction stir welding using couple Eulerian Lagrangian method, Journal of manufacturing processes, 34, PP-158-166, 2018
- Rahul Jain, Md. Perwej Iqbal, Surjya K. Pal, Numerical and experimental study on friction stir welding of aluminum alloys, Journal of materials processing technology, vol. 274, 2019
- Rahul Jain, Surjya K. Pal, Shiv B, Singh, Influence of smooth and flat surface pin on material flow, temperature distribution and deformation during friction stir welding: A simulation study, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering manufacture, Vol: 233 (9), 1980-1992, 2019
- Shyam S., Asfer M., Mehta B., Mondal P. K., Alshqirate A. S., Magnetic field driven actuation of sessile ferrofluid droplets in the presence of a time dependent magnetic field, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 586, 124116, 2020.
- Singh D., Shyam S., Mehta B., Asfer M., Alshqirate A. S., Exploring heat transfer characteristics of ferrofluid in the presence of magnetic fields for cooling of solar photovoltaic systems, ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, 11(4): 041017, 2019.
- Ben, N. Y., Zhang, Q., Bandyopadhyay, K., & Lee, M. G. Analysis of friction behaviour under oscillating forming process using T-shape compression test and finite element simulation. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 275, 116327, 2020.
- Ben, N. Y., Zhang, Q., Choi, H., Bandyopadhyay, K., & Lee, M. G. Experimental and finite element analysis on oscillating cold forming in consideration of nonlinear loading-unloading-reloading behavior. Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 36, 520-534, 2018
- Kommalapati, S., Agrawal, A., Duryodhan, V.S., “Enhancing miscible fluid mixing by introducing pseudo turbulent flow in Golden ratio spiral microchannel,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 59, 9, 3784–3793, 2019
- J Yang, F Wang, G Song, R Li, Udayraj. Effects of clothing size and air ventilation rate on cooling performance of air ventilation clothing in a warm condition. International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics, pp. 1-29, 2020 (Accepted, available online).
- B Choudhary, Udayraj, F Wang, Y Ke, J Yang. Development and experimental validation of a 3D numerical model based on CFD of the human torso wearing air ventilation clothing. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 147, 118973, 2020
- K U Mekrisuh, D Singh, Udayraj. Performance analysis of a vertically oriented concentric-tube PCM based thermal energy storage system: Parametric study and correlation development. Renewable Energy, Vol. 149, pp. 902-916, 2020
- Z Kang, F Wang, Udayraj. An advanced three-dimensional thermoregulation model of the human body: Development and validation. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 107, pp. 34-43, 2019
- Udayraj, F Wang, W Song, Y Ke, P Xu, C S W Chow, N Noor. Performance enhancement of hybrid personal cooling clothing in a hot environment: PCM cooling energy management with additional insulation. Ergonomics, 62 (7), pp. 928-939, 2019.
- Z Kang, Udayraj, X Wan, F Wang. A new hybrid personal cooling system (HPCS) incorporating insulation pads for thermal comfort management: Experimental validation and parametric study. Building and Environment, Vol. 145, 276-289, 2018.
- Khobragade R., Singh S.K., Shukla P.C., Gupta T., Al-Fatesh A.S., Agarwal A.K., Labhasetwar N.K. Chemical composition of diesel particulate matter and its control. Catalysis Reviews. Oct 2;61(4):447-515, 2019
- Zincir B., Shukla P.C., Shamun S., Tuner M., Deniz C., Johansson B. Investigation of Effects of Intake Temperature on Low Load Limitations of Methanol Partially Premixed Combustion. Energy & Fuels. May 24;33(6):5695-709, 2019
- Shukla P.C., Shamun S., Gren L., Malmborg V., Pagels J., Tuner M., Investigation of Particle Number Emission Characteristics in a Heavy-Duty Compression Ignition Engine fueled with Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO), SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 11(4):495-505, 2018.
- Varela, L.B., Cavaleiro, A., Tschiptschin, A.P., Gangopadhyay, S., Fernandes, F., Tribological and milling performance of NbC–Ni films deposited by sputtering with different Ni contents, Tribology International, 147 (2020) 106281.
- Azim, S. Gangopadhyay, S., Mahapatra, S.S., Mittal, R.K., Singh, A., Singh, R.K., Study of cutting forces and surface integrity in micro drilling of a Ni-based superalloy, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 45 (2019) 368-378
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS IN CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS DURING LAST FIVE YEARS
- A. Faye, Y. Lev, K. Y. Volokh. Modeling dynamic fracture in rubberlike materials. Constitutive Models for Rubber XI. Proceedings of the 11th European Conference on Constitutive Models for Rubber, Nantes, France, June 25-27, 2019.
- Y. Lev, K. Y. Volokh, A. Faye, A new calibration methodology for thermo-elastic deformation and failure of rubber-like materials. Constitutive Models for Rubber XI. Proceedings of the 11th European Conference on Constitutive Models for Rubber, Nantes, France, June 25-27, 2019
- B Choudhary, Udayraj, F Wang. Numerical analysis of cooling performance of air ventilation clothing. Proceedings of the 25th National and 3rd International ISHMT-ASTFE Heat and Mass Transfer Conference (IHMTC-2019), IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, India, December 28-31, 2019. (IHMTC2019-CFD-603).
- Udayraj. Effect of UHI and building geometry on pollution dispersion in an urban street canyon. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Countermeasures to Urban Heat Islands (IC2UHI 2019), IIIT Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India, December 02-04, 2019.
- K U Mekrisuh, D Singh, Udayraj. Numerical analysis of effect of aspect ratio and flow rate on the performance of PCM based thermal energy storage system. Proceedings of The Third International Conference on Sustainable Energy and Environmental Challenges, 3rd SEEC, Roorkee, India, December 18-21, 2018.
- Udayraj. Numerical study to analyze effect of fabric radiative properties on heat transfer and protective performance. 6th International Conference on Technical Textiles and Nonwovens, ICTN 2018, IIT Delhi, India, December 6-8, 2018.
- Duryodhan, V.S., Chatterjee R., Singh, S.G., and Agrawal, A., "Study of Mixing in Different Shapes of Spiral Microchannel," presented in the 7th International and 45th National Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power (FMFP), 2018, December 10-12, 2018, at IIT Bombay, Mumbai, India.
- Azim, S. Gangopadhyay, S., Mahapatra, S.S., Mittal, R.K., Singh, R.K., Experimental investigation in microdrilling of Ni-based alloy under different cooling environment, 3rd World Congress on Micro and Nano Manufacturing (WCMNM 2019), Raleigh NC, USA, September 10-12, 2019.
- Azim, S. Gangopadhyay, S., Tahkur, A., Evaluation of Chip Characteristics under Dry and Wet Environment using Coated and Uncoated Tools, COPEN-2019, IIT Indore, December 12-14, 2019.
LIST OF SCIENTIFIC/ TECHNICAL BOOKS WRITTEN BY FACULTY MEMBERS IN THE DEPARTMENT
- Sahu TK, Gupta S, Shukla PC. Second Generation Bioethanol Production from Organic Waste. In Alternative Fuels and Their Utilization Strategies in Internal Combustion Engines 2020 (pp. 49-64). Springer, Singapore.
- Singh AP, Shukla PC, Hwang J, Agarwal AK. Introduction to Combustion Simulations and Optical Diagnostic Techniques for Internal Combustion Engines. InSimulations and Optical Diagnostics for Internal Combustion Engines 2020 (pp. 3-6). Springer, Singapore.
- Shukla PC. Non-Noble Metal-Based Catalysts for the Application of Soot Oxidation. In Advanced Engine Diagnostics 2019 (pp. 127-142). Springer, Singapore.
ONGOING RESEARCH FOR POST GRADUATE SCHOLARS AS PART OF THEIR THESIS WORK
- Development of laser-based thermal barrier coatings (TBC) for piston applications
- Laser surface texturing of cutting tools for high performance machining applications
- Tool wear analysis for friction stir welding of hard materials
- Micromachining of super alloys
- Advanced multilayer PVD coatings for cutting tool applications
- Failure of biological materials
- Development of hybrid heat sink for electronic cooling
- Fluid structure coupling of sloshing phenomena
- Development of personal cooling clothing for thermal comfort and heat stress mitigation
- Phase change material based thermal energy storage system